Thursday, October 14, 2010

The sadly neglected GAME Plan Part 2!

When I revisited my GAME plan I noticed that I had totally forgotten about my second goal. I am supposed to be finding a new, technological way to facilitate peer editing.

My first clear plan comes from a tutorial I took on Turnitin.com. There students can post papers anonymously and the teacher can assign groups/partners/etc. Students are given a points scale rubric and allows to offer comments after each scaled point. For instance, students could be asked about "a strong thesis" on a scale of 1 to 10. Then they could comment. Sadly, students cannot actually comment line for line, so if they see a grammar error they cannot point it out. This is a tool, but it still needs tweaking to be super useful.

There is of course, a wiki, where students could use the Google docs edit function to offer suggestions, but it saves the file with the changes, so students would not be self-editing, just saving the solutions that they already have.

I intend to interview others about my dilemma.

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of using the wiki. We are commenting on each other's papers on our wiki's to help improve our lesson plans. I think you could use them in a very similar way to help improve writing. I understand what your fear about having the papers edited and saved. However, when we do peer edits in class, most of the time students use the exact corrections anyway. I don't think it is terrible that students do the edits. I wouldn't give up on the wiki!

    ReplyDelete